Assistant Director, Research, Assistant Director, HIV Prevention job at Society for Family Health (SFH) Nigeria January 2013
Vacancies: Assistant Director, Research, Assistant Director, HIV Prevention
Society for Family Health (SFH) is one of the leading public health non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in Nigeria, implementing programmes in reproductive health HIV/AIDS prevention, and maternal and child health. SFH works in partnership with the Federal and State Governments of Nigeria, the British Department for International Development (DFID) and the United State Agency for International Development (USAID) among other international donors. We seek to recruit qualified persons as a result of growth in our organization. We offer professionals opportunities for career advancement, a good working environment and competitive remuneration. We require competent candidates for the following positions:
Position: Assistant Director, Research (based in Abuja)
This position reports to the Director of Technical Services and provides strategic and operational leadership to SFH Research & Evaluation (R&E) strategies at the national level. S/He will provide technical leadership to a team of researchers on theories, strategies and approaches to research and evaluation and provide evidence to guide decision making in the implementation of HIV, Malaria and Maternal and Child Health Projects as outlined in R&E strategies and national research agenda.
SFH provides significant support to government at various levels in the area of research and evaluation. The successful candidates must be comfortable working at the highest level with government, multilaterals and NGO partners in the development of research agendas, monitoring of national and state level indicators proving support to conduct large scale national and state level surveys, in addition, s/he will build the capacity of SFH staff, and government partners at the national level in programme evaluation, ensuring the availability and use of monitoring, evaluation and surveillance data for programme planning, evaluation, and policy advocacy.
The desired candidate:
- Must possess a minimum of a Masters Degree in Demography, Public Health, Epidemiology or Biostatistics/Statistics.
- Must have at least ten (10) years progressive experience in STI/HIV/MCH/RH related surveillance and/or research with wide ranging knowledge of research methodologies.
- Must have proves experience working in a fast paced non-governmental environment, and also with a variety of donors including; DFID, USAID, the Global Fund and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation among others, with in-depth understanding of their research and evaluation approaches, systems and indicators.
- Must have in-depth experience in preparing research for publications and presenting research findings to public health and policy specialists, media and the general public. The successful candidate must show evidence of published peer reviewed articles in scientific journals.
- Must have at least five (5) years cognate experience in planning and facilitating training for different cadres, of staff in research methodologies, m. analysis and interpretation.
- Must be able to effectively use SPSS, Epi-INFO or Stata at advanced level.
- Must have provided high level technical support to the planning, implementation, analysis and reporting of large national surveys, and operations research
- Must have excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation skills, and report writing skills.
Position: Assistant Director, HIV Prevention (based in Abuja)
This position reports to the Director ENR Programme and provides strategic and operational leadership to ENR HIV Prevention strategies at the national level and eight (8) states. S/He will provide technical leadership to a team of Behaviour Change Communication technical advisors working across the eight states on theories, strategies and approaches to achieving scaled up, evidence informed HIV prevention actions as outlined national and ENR strategies and approaches. The post holder will be part of ENR leadership team and expected to provide significant support to government at various levels in the area of reducing new HIV infection. The successful candidate must be comfortable working at the highest level with government, multilaterals and NGO partners in the interpretation of available evidence, including implications for HIV prevention focus and approaches: development of strategies; collaboration agenda to achieve combination HIV prevention; supporting joint reviews of select indicators to measure progress and providing technical support to the development of a range of intervention communication channels. In addition, s/he will build the capacity of SFH staff, and government partners in evidence informed HIV prevention interventions.
- Must possess a minimum of a Masters Degree in Physical/Medical /Behavioural or Social Sciences Preference will be given to Master in Public Health, Development studies or Organizational Development.
- Must have at least ten (10) years progressive experience in the public health or social development sector preferable in the areas of skills and knowledge transfer both at individual and organizational levels.
- Must have at least six (6) demonstrable experience in designing, testing, refining and implementing multichannel HIV prevention interventions.
- Must have proven experience working in a fast paced non-governmental environment, and also with a variety of donors including; DFID, USAID, the World Bank and UN System among others, with in-depth understanding of their project management tools such as logical framework, performance management system and indicators.
- Must have in-depth experience in developing, requesting and using technical assistance and other capacity building tools to catalyse problem solving within an institutional setting.
- Must have at least five (5) years cognate experience in working with government and civil society
- Must have at least three (3) experience in managing people and facilitating planning, coordination and result measurement within a project management cycle.
- Must have good report writing skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Compensation & Benefits:
The compensation package for these positions is very attractive and designed to attract, motivate retain talented candidates
Method of Application:
A one page application letter (using the position reference as subject), be addressed to the Assistant Director-HR, clearly providing evidence of Competences required for the job, current remuneration, as well as a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae indicating clearly your valid telephone numbers, e-mail address and current contact address. This should be sent on or before 10th May 2012 to the email address beside the job you are applying for. Do note that any candidate with multiple submissions will be disqualified. Candidates without the minimum requirements need not apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SFH is an equal opportunity employer
Female candidates are strongly encourage to apply.