Director of Finance, Nigeria LEAD Project, Finance and Budget Specialist job at RTI International Nigeria January 2013
Vacancies: Director of Finance, Nigeria LEAD Project, Finance and Budget Specialist
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 2,800 provides research and technical expertise to governments and businesses in more than 40 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceutical, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory and chemistry services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as the first scientific organization in and centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park. RTI International implements the five year, USAID funded Leadership, Advocacy, Empowerment, and Development (LEAD) project in Nigeria, a project aimed at improving governance and service delivery at the local government level. These positions are Bauchi based and are open to residents of Nigeria only.
Position: Director of Finance, Nigeria LEAD Project
The Director of Finance manages all aspects of the LEAD project financial activities and is responsible for implementation, quality control, reporting, monitoring, and staff management. The candidate we seek is a very senior Accountant/Audit/Financial Controller with expertise in the areas of internal control systems, accounting systems and processes, as well as international finance and accounting systems in Nigeria. The position is at grade 12 and reports to the Nigeria LEAD Chief of Party and the Nairobi, Kenya-based Director of International Finance. Specific
Under the direction of the Chief of Party, ensure a strong internal control environment is established and maintained, including but not limited to:
Ensure that appropriate Segregations of Duties are in place and managed for all transactions and disbursements in accordance with RTI policies and procedures
Ensure that proper processes, procedures, and controls are in place so as to safeguard the assets of RTI and USAID.
Direct and manage all finance and administration of the project, in both the Bauchi and Sokoto offices,to ensure compliance with RTI policies and procedures, including but not limited to:
- Cash Management
- Financial reporting
- Payroll Procurement
- Segregation of Duties
- Prepare and submit monthly financial statements (including expenses, receivable and payables).
- Ensure timely submission of expense reports, supporting documentation and bank reconciliation: Home Office.
- Oversee, review and enter into the QuickBooks accounting system all financial transactions occurring in Sokoto field office.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual expenditure reports along with project pipeline estimates.
- Support the COP and Home Office staff in the preparation of annual budgets and monthly forecasts. Prepare biweekly cash requirements, monitoring cash flow and reconcile cash accounts in order to maintain appropriate cash balances.
- Ensure that all project cash is properly controlled and safeguarded. Manage the transfer of cash to and cash balances in the Sokoto field office.
- Manage and monitor performance of office petty cash system
- Work closely with the Senior Office Manager and project team to ensure project’s procurement and inventory control system.
- Ensure proper payroll administration and filing of all appropriate statutory payments and reports.
- Deliver financial, administrative and other support to the COP.
- Ensure all COP and Home Office needs (reporting, financial, administrative etc.) are met.
- Work with project leadership and staff to ensure program deliverables are completed in a cost conscious manner.
- Anticipate project’s financial and administrative needs, make and follow through on strategic recommendations. Respond to and resolve all accounting and finance issues raised by RTl’s Home Office and/or Nairobi Regional Office.
- Supervise the Bauchi finance and accounting staff and the Sokoto Finance Manager.
- Ensure that all finance and accounting staff possess the proper level of training and experience for their positions.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party.
Required Experience, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Applicants should have Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance and 15 years of experience or MBA degree plus 12 years of experience.
- ICAN /Chartered Accountancy certification desired.
- Significant experience as an Auditor or Finance Controller.
- Proficient in MS Excel and strong working knowledge of accounting software
- QuickBooks proficiency is desired.
- Experience with USAID rules and regulations an advantage.
- Excellent technical and managerial skills.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent team player who works well independently.
Position: Finance and Budget Specialist
The Finance/Budget Specialist will contribute to and assist in the implementation of technical and management aspects of LEAD budget transparency and accountability activities, including program reporting and monitoring. The candidate we seek is an experienced local government finance specialist with a proven track record of training and assisting local government authorities to better account for public funds and improve overall fiscal and budget transparency. The position is at grade 9 and reports to the Senior Finance/Budget Specialist (SFBS).
Responsibilities: The FBS will provide direct support and assistance to the Senior Finance/Budget Specialist in the design and delivery of budget transparency and accountability activities, meeting component objectives and ensuring that the technical approach is integrated, effective, and well-monitored.
Required Experience, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Applicants should have Bachelor’s degree and 6 years or MA degree plus 3 years experience;
- Degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Municipal Finance, International Relations, Development Studies or related fields.
- Experience in local government finance and transparency
- Excellent communication (Verbal and written) and Interpersonal skills
- Experience in working in Northern Nigeria
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should please email their cover letter and CV in reverse chronological order (including email and phone contact) to email@example.com on or before April 30th 2012. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.