National Democratic Institute (NDI) Program Officer Job Vacancy in Nigeria January 2013
National Democratic Institute (NDI) is a non profit, non partisan organization working to support and strengthen democratic Institutions worldwide through citizen participation openness and accountability.
National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks to fill the following vacant job position in the Abuja field Office;
JOB TITLE: PROGRAM OFFICER
The Program Officer will provide programmatic support to democratic development programs in Northern Nigeria, focusing on citizen participation in the electoral and political processes, particularly for women, youths, and the disabled. The Program Officer will work as part of NDI’s Civic Engagement team to develop program strategy; draft program proposals and reports; provide political analysis; assist program monitoring and evaluation; and oversee program budgets.
• Designs, drafts, and edits project proposals with the Program Manager.
• Drafts program reports and memoranda.
• Drafts and edits team documents and field reports, and provides guidance to written work of subordinates.
• Travels to Northern States, as necessary to support program implementation, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation.
• Provides periodic support for local and regional program conferences, workshops, and meeting
• Acts as back-up to team members not present.
• Monitors regional political developments, and provides political and programmatic analysis.
• Manages assigned program areas, and anticipates programmatic administrative needs.
• Briefs political, civic, and business leaders, donor organizations and members of the international community about NDI activities.
• Acts as liaison with members of civil society and donor organizations.
• Monitors budgets and expenditures for assigned program areas.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or related subject; graduate degree preferred.
• A minimum of four (4) years relevant work experience in international development, community organizing, political campaigns, organizational development, or legislative affairs.
• Demonstrated knowledge and/or competency in citizen and community engagement programs.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to analyze the political environment of Nigeria.
• Ability to analyze political work, define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw
• Ability to work effectively on multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously.
• Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
• Ability to take initiative and anticipate programmatic and administrative needs
• Exceptional writing skills to effectively create clear and concise proposals and reports.
• Ability to think strategically and innovatively about program design and administration.
• High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff. eMl society organizations. Government officials, donors, and policy makers.
• Language capacity and cultural sensitivity to work, effectively in the communities of Northern Nigeria.
• Demonstrated experience implementing programs in Northern Nigeria.
• Competent working knowledge of business and internet software.
How to apply
Applicants for this position should send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Application closes within one week of the date of this publication